Friday 8 April 2011

1982

More Sheffield, and this time we have materialised in 1982. Tumultuous times for Britain but not reflected here on the streets of Steel City, where shoppers rest on uncomfortable benches, old men huddle in the stygian gloom of the Hole in the Road, Reliant Robins wobble through city traffic and guitar-'n-violin buskers entertain Chinese tourists. And I'd fortgotten that WH Smiths' old corporate colours were brown and orange. The one jarring note is the grafitti in the Hole in the Road, something reflected in other grafitti photos I have recently acquired.


6 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Are these from a book, or are they actual photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Actual photos - I've acquired quite a few of them over the years, these being bought years ago when I was a student. I've got quite a few to put up ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really look forward to more. These are great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. The most important thing about the Hole In The Road was the fish tank in the wall. I like to think the fish are still there, buried under 12 feet of rubble and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photographs... I spent quite a lot of time in Sheffield as a kid so these images ring distant bells... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments everyone! I vaguely remember the fish tank from when I was a boy. I imagine they would have turned into those cave fish that are pink and have no eyes.

    ReplyDelete